Many store bought jams are super high in refined sugars and contain thickeners and fillers. This homemade berry and chia jam contains just 4 natural ingredeints and is packed full of goodness! Antioxidents from the berries and a dose of omega 3, protein and fibre from the chia.
Makes 1 1/2 to 2 cups I Takes just 25 mins
- 2 cups of fresh berries of your choice.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (or other natural sweet syrup)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- In a saucepan, cook the fruit over medium heat for about 6-8 minutes, until it starts to soften and break down. Use a potato masher to mash the fruit – or a stick blender if you prefer it smooth.
- Add the syrup and lemon juice and cook gently until the mixture thickens and becomes syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chia seeds. The chia seeds will thicken the fruit mixture naturally. Stir every 5 minutes, ensuring the chia seeds are well mixed.
- After 15 minutes, you will know if you need to add more chia seeds to thicken the mixture. (Only add a small amount of extra chia. A little goes a long way!)
- Pour the mixture into an air tight container and cool in the fridge for 2hrs. The jam will thicken more over this time. 6. The jam can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
NOTE: If you would prefer to not see the chia seeds, you can add them before the step 2 and blend them with the fruit.
Get HEALTHY in 2017!
From recipes, trends and discounts, expect great things via email this month.