This vegan Japanese mushroom and soba noodle soup is fresh, fast and extra tasty! Taking just 15 minutes to make, it's an easy option for your midweek dinner.
We have used Shiitake mushrooms for this recipe, however you can use Swiss Brown or even normal button mushrooms if your local store doesn't have Asian mushrooms.
If you are lucky enough to have access to mixed Asian mushrooms, that is even better! But remember to add your firmer mushrooms, like Shiitake or Wood Ear (they are they curly black looking ones), at the beginning - so the flavour draws out into the stock and the finer more delicate mushrooms, like Enoki, at the end - just to gently heat them through.
This is a vegan recipe, however if you are a meat eater, you can switch the vegetable stock with chicken and add sliced chicken breast at the same time as the mushrooms (ensuring it's cooked through before serving). You could leave out the tofu if you wish.
Takes 15 min I Serves 4
- 1L of Organic Vegetable Stock (or better still, homemade)
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce (one if using dark soy)
- 1 tablespoon miso paste (can substitute one serve of instant miso)
- 1 tablespoon of mirin
- 1 tablespoon of sake (or rice wine vinegar)
- 350g shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed, cut into ½ cm slices (can substitute for swiss mushrooms)
- Tofu – One pack, drained well and cut into 1.5cm cubes
- Pak Choy or Choy Sum – stalks chopped into 1cm slices, leaves cut lengthways into strips
- Soba noodles – 200g pack, prepared according to instructions.
- 3 Shallots/green onions, chopped into 1cm pieces.
- Black sesame seeds to garnish
- On high heat in a large saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to the boil.
- Add in the chopped shitake mushrooms and lower the heat to just over a simmer.
- Meanwhile, prepare the soba noodles according to the packet instruction. We love Organic Noodle Kitchen, which need to be boiled in a separate pot of water. Once cooked, portion your soba noodles into 4 bowls, ready for your soup to be added.
- Add the tofu, mirin, sake and miso paste to your vegetable stock and stir. You only need to heat the tofu through.
- Add in the chopped Choy Sum/Pak Choy stalks, cooking only for a minute so they are blanched slightly.
- Remove from the heat, add the choy sum/pack choy leaves, just so they wilter slightly and ladle the soup over your soba noodles.
- Add your green shallots on top and sprinkle with black sesame seeds to garnish.
Get HEALTHY in 2017!
From recipes, trends and discounts, expect great things via email this month.