Believe it or not, there was a time when avocados were shunned by the health conscious. The prevailing wisdom was that any food with a high fat content would, well, make you fat. Avocados, with over 85 percent of their calories deriving from fat, fell into this unfortunate category and those looking to lose weight were advised to avoid this wonderful and nutritious food. Indeed it is now accepted that the reverse is true.
Science has now shown that the body needs fat and that all fats are not the same. Indeed studies have now shown the type of fat contained in avocados is mostly good for you.
Now nutritionists and food experts recommend eating avocados as part of a healthy diet. Here’s just five reasons why:
1. Avocados contain fats. The anti fat theory of recent years has been well and truly discredited. The prevailing wisdom, slowly being accepted by nutritionists, is that food high in fats may also help you lose weight (see #5).
2. Great for heart health. Keeping your heart healthy is of course a major consideration of any healthy diet. It is now suggested that the nutrients contained in avocados help keep the heart functioning well.
3. Chock full of nutrition. Full of healthy goodness, avocados contain a multitude of minerals and vitamins galore, which help the body fight disease.
4. Act as a preventative food. There is now a body of evidence that suggests the nutrients in avocado helps the body resist such conditions as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain brain and eye disorders.
5. Fills you up! One of the factors about weight loss that has been discovered in recent times is the need to be adequately satisfied so you are not craving more food in an hour or so. The more you feel “full” after a meal, the less you’re likely you are to snack between meals. Avocados, with their high good fat content, help give you that full and satisfied feeling.
If none of the above convince you to eat an avocado a day then the fruit’s taste and versatility with other food will surely win you over. For its ability to work with other foods to enhance a meal is legendary. For example, just with a slice of sourdough and egg (add Vegemite if you’re really adventurous) to make the base for a nutritious meal. Or try this winning guacamole recipe below from Ranchero Sauces with your next Mexican night!
The humble avocado is at the centre of the new revolution in thinking on the beneficial effects of fats. Not only that it tastes fantastic and is almost a meal in itself. Enjoy the wonderful avocado!
Ranchero Guacamole Recipe
1 Large Avocado
1 - 2 Tbs Ranchero Jalapeno Sauce
2 Tbs of Spring Onions
Small handful of Fresh Coriander
1. Mash the avocado
2. Mix in the Ranchero Jalapeno Sauce and half of the Spring Onions and half of the Fresh Coriander
3. Garnish with left over Spring Onions & Coriander
4. Serve with Organic Corn Chips
Get HEALTHYISH in 2017!
From recipes, trends and discounts, expect great things via email this month.