Who doesn't love mexican food? This is a delicious healthy vegan alternative to traditional chilli, made with quinoa, beans and vegetables. This recipe will be loved by vegetarians and meat eaters!
Makes approx 8 servings.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green capsicum, chopped
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 2 cans whole tomatoes, sliced, juice included
- 1 cup corn
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (if you like it a little more spicy)
- In a medium pot, combine the quinoa with 1 cup water. Cook over medium heat until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large pot. Add the onion and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, and capsicum and cook for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Add the vegetable stock, black beans, kidney beans, corn and tomatoes. Stir through the cooked quinoa. Season with chilli powder, dried oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Simmer for at least 30 minutes on low. Serve warm.
Get HEALTHY in 2017!
From recipes, trends and discounts, expect great things via email this month.