The perfect entree for entertaining! The sweetness of the roasted beetroot, drizzled in sweet balsamic reduction is matched perfectly with the bitter crunch of the walnuts and creamy tang of the goats cheese... and that flaky flaky puff pastry
Time: 30 minutes I Serves: 4
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 3 tablespoons of Jomeis Fine Foods Sweet Balsamic Reduction
- 2 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 500g of roasted baby beetroot
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 1 zest of lemon
- 1/2 cup of caramelised onions
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 100g of walnuts
- Garnish premade caramelised onions*, goats cheese and basil
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Wash the baby beetroots. Place them in the centre of a large piece of aluminium foil.
- Fold up the sides of the foil to form a pouch, leaving the pouch open at the top.
- Roast the beetroot for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a small paring knife can be inserted into the centre of the beetroot with no resistance.
- Set aside to cool slightly. Peel off the skin and cut in half.
- Using a pan suitable for the oven, add olive oil, red wine, Sweet Balsamic Reduction and sugar, heat over a moderate flame.
- Reduce the heat, then add beetroots until the liquid has reduced into a syrup.
- Add thyme, lemon zest, half of the caramelised onions, and season to taste.
- Cut pastry to size of pan or place over the top, tucking the edges into pan. Cook in oven for 10 minutes.
- While the tart is cooking, dry pan fry the walnuts in a hot pan. Add a small amount of Sweet Balsamic
- Reduction, toss through. Allow to cool, and they will become crunchy.
- Once tart is golden brown and cooked, take it out from the pan.
- Garnish with additional caramelised onions, goats cheese, caramelised walnuts, and basil. Ready to serve.
* To make the caramelised onions, slice 3 red onions and place in a frying pan with a little extra virgin olive oil. Cook onions on medium heat till they are soft and transparent. Add 1 tablespoon of Sweet Balsamic Reduction and cook for a few more minutes. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate.
Recipe couresty of Jomeis Fine Foods