We all know that having a diet with a good balance of essential vitamins is imperative to our everyday health and wellbeing. However what many of us don’t consider is our mineral intake.
What are minerals and what do they do?
Over a century ago, Rudolph Virchow, one of the foremost scientists of the day, discovered that the human body is composed of tiny, living cells – each one made of three classes of materials; water, organic substances and inorganic substances. Water and organic matter (such as sugar, albuminous and fatty substances) make up the greater portion of the body. The inorganic (mineral) elements, although in much smaller quantities are the vital ‘active workers’ which use our bodies organic matter to reproduce the millions of cells of which the body is composed.
These minerals act as the catalyst for the body’s balance and general wellbeing. Without a proper intake of minerals, the cell's reproduction can become imbalanced and illness can occur – resulting in a myriad of health complaints. Minerals do not work alone. They must work in balance with one other as well as with the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, fats and vitamins.
Why is this so important to consider our mineral intake?
In today’s day and age, ‘convenience’ or processed foods which lack in vital minerals are almost an unavoidable part of our everyday life. Even some fresh fruits and vegetables are questionable in their nutritional value. Unlike vitamins – which are taken from the plants we eat, minerals are taken from the soil, via the plant. If the minerals aren’t in the soil, they aren’t in the plant. Environmental pollution and the exploitation of our once mineral rich soils are a real issue. The imbalance of minerals this may cause in our body is now a pressing health concern.
How can I supplement my mineral intake?
In the early nineteenth century, Dr William H Schuessler – German Physiological chemist and physicist, identified 12 minerals or “tissue salts”, which he located in ALL human cells. He identified each mineral’s use (and symptoms caused by their insufficiency) and concocted the natural essence of each mineral to produce microdoses for human consumption. These microdoses of minerals allow the body to re-balance naturally by stimulating the cells, not overdosing them. Dr Schuessler’s formulas are the same that Martin & Pleasance use today.
Dr Schuessler identified the essential 12 tissue-salts listed below with some of their common deficiency symptoms:
(The most commonly-used abbreviation is followed by its traditional and chemical names.)
1. KALI PHOS (Kali Phosphoricum; Potassium Phosphate)
- mental/emotional symptoms predominate
- Feel as if "I'm too tired to rest."
- Anxiety, brain fatigue, irritability, temper-tantrums, sleeplessness, dizziness, nervous asthma
- easily bleeding gums
2. KALI MUR (Kali Muriaticum; Potassium Chloride)
- white mucus, swollen glands
- white or gray coated tongue, glandular swellings, discharge of white, thick mucus from nose or eyes
- indigestion from rich food
3. KALI SULPH (Kali Sulphuricum; Potassium Sulphate)
- yellow mucus, later stages of illness, congestion and cough worse in evening
- dandruff, yellow coated tongue, yellow crusts on eyelids
- gas, poor digestion
4. CALC PHOS (Calcarea Phosphorica; Calcium Phosphate)
- teething remedy
- upset stomach, post-nasal drip, chronic cold feet, poor dentition
5. CALC SULPH (Calcarea Sulphurica; Calcium Sulphate)
- sores that heal poorly, herpes blisters
- pain in forehead, vertigo, pimples on the face
6. CALC FLUOR (Calcarea Fluorica; Calcium Fluoride)
- poor tooth enamel, cracks in palms of hands, lips
- NB: Not to be confused with Sodium Fluoride which is used to add Fluoride to water supplies.
7. NAT MUR (Natrum Muriate; Sodium Chloride)
- dryness of body openings, clear thin mucus
- effects of excess overheating; itching of hair at nape of neck
- early stage of common colds with clear, running discharge
- insect bites (applied locally)
8. NAT SULPH (Natrum Sulphuricum; Sodium Sulphate)
- rarely needed
- green stools and other excess bile symptoms
- Sensitive scalp, greenish-gray or greenish-brown coating on tongue, influenza
9. NAT PHOS (Natrum Phosphoricum; Sodium Phosphate)
- simple morning sickness; acid rising in throat
- Headache on crown of head, eyelids glued together in morning,
- grinding of teeth in sleep; pain and sour risings from stomach after eating
10. MAG PHOS (Magnesia Phosphorica; Magnesium Phosphate)
- Muscle spasms, cramps and menstrual cramps, if always better with heat
- hiccups; trembling of hands
- teeth sensitive to cold
11. FERR PHOS ( Ferrum Phosphate; Ferrum Phosphate)
- first stages of inflammation, redness, swelling, early fever
- congestive headache, earache, sore throat
- loss of voice from overuse
12. SILICA (Silica)
- white pus forming conditions, boils ("homeopathic lancet"), stony-hard glands
- Sty in eye area, tonsillitis, brittle nails
Fast forward or over 150 years, Martin & Pleasance have created a range of blended tissue-salts to treat a wide range of health complaints we experience in today’s life. Along with the 12 single tissue-salts listed above, M&P have developed 22 other blends such as Skin Disorder, Nerve Tonic, Rheumatism, Circulatory Disorders which contain a combination of the 12 single tissue salts. The convenience of these blended tissue-salts and natural easy absorption allows the minerals to boost the body’s natural healing responses.
Taking ‘tissue salts’ themselves is different to just swallowing a pill. The tissue-salts are either chewed before swallowing or ground into powder and taken with water to facilitate absorption in the body. With respect for the original formula and using modern technology Martin & Pleasance have taken these tissue-salts one step further by producing creams to treat specific areas and convenient oral sprays (which are specially formulated to be lactose free).
Martin & Pleasance tissue-salts are an Australian made, natural homeopathic supplement which can be an excellent complimentary treatment to other medications. They are suitable for the whole family, including infants (crush the tablet), children, during pregnancy, whilst breast feeding and by the elderly. The tissue salt sprays have been made especially for the lactose intolerant.
Always read the label and use only as directed. If symptoms persist, consult your healthcare professional.
Get HEALTHYISH in 2017!
From recipes, trends and discounts, expect great things via email this month.
More Great Reads!
Recipes We Love!
- Martin & Pleasance Mag Phos 250 Tab
- Martin & Pleasance Mag Phos Cream 75gm
- Martin & Pleasance Silica 125 Tab
- Martin & Pleasance Mag Phos 30ml Spray
- Martin & Pleasance Kali Phos 125 Tab
- Martin & Pleasance Nat Phos 125 Tab
- Martin & Pleasance Comb F 125 Tabs
- Martin & Pleasance Comb H 125 Tabs
- Martin & Pleasance Comb Q 125 Tab